COURSE AIMSAt the end of this course, trainees will be able to:
- Understand the principles used in teaching ESL.
- Teach English in diverse settings.
- Design and deliver lessons to ESL students of various levels of proficiency.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Has completed high school.
- Candidates with a bachelor’s degree are preferred.
- Must be proficient in both written and spoken English.
- Must pass the ELS English Proficiency Test.
PROGRAMME STRUCTUREThe TESOL Certificate Course provides trainees with flexibility and variety, comprising of online learning, face-to-face classroom discussions, and authentic practicum teaching sessions.
|Online Units||Face-to-Face Classes||Authentic Practicum|
TESOL INTAKES 2020TESOL Certificate Course Intakes
|Intake||Course Dates||Class Days||Practicium Days|
|January||Jan 11 – Mar 19, 2020||Saturday||Selected Weekdays||March||Mar 14 – May 6, 2020||Saturday||Selected Weekdays||May||May 9 – Jul 15, 2020||Saturday||Selected Weekdays||July||Jul 4 – Sep 9, 2020||Saturday||Selected Weekdays||September||Sep 5 – Nov 4, 2020||Saturday||Selected Weekdays||October||Oct 17 – Dec 9, 2020||Saturday||Selected Weekdays|
EVALUATIONTrainees will receive the TESOL Certificate, conferred by ELS, when they have fulfilled all of the following course requirements:
- Completed all online tasks and passed all quizzes
- Full attendance in the face-to-face sessions
- Submitted satisfactory home assignments
- Obtained a satisfactory grade in the practical teaching sessions
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Under the Malaysian Ministry of Education ruling, a Certificate requires 100 to 140 hours of learning while a Diploma is a 2 to 2.5-year programme.
Aside from having a TESOL Certificate, ELS hiring criteria stipulate that candidates must also have a degree, perform well during their job interview and demonstration class, and show commitment towards the students’ learning and progress. Candidates who meet these criteria will be considered by ELS, provided there is a vacancy.
Yes, provided you meet the hiring criteria of the institutions and countries.
The trainers are ELS instructors with TESOL/TESL degrees and an average of 10 years of teaching experience.
Recognition of any certificate or qualification is the prerogative of the approving authority. As a rule, if the TESOL programme is over 100 hours and practical teaching (practicum) is part of the programme, it is internationally recognised.
Being an effective teacher depends a lot on your commitment and your continuous effort in practising the teaching skills learnt. Like everything in life, the more practice you get, the better you will become. Do not be discouraged and enjoy the opportunities to hone your skills.